Supervisors and managers play an important role in every organization. The Village EAP is dedicated to helping supervisors lead, teach, and guide employees. Use the links below to learn more about the options and services available to you.
– Crisis Management Services
– Supervisor Helpline
– Supervisor Referrals
- Informal Referrals
- Formal Referrals
– Training Solutions
- Online webinars
– Consulting Services
– Supervisor Quick Reference Guide
– EAP Resources by Topic
– COVID-19 Resources
– Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Resources
– Blog Articles
FAQs for Supervisors
Village EAP Promotional Materials
Crisis Management Services help employers and employees more effectively cope with crises, both in the workplace and in the community. Crisis Management is a comprehensive process that helps people effectively deal with stressful situations such as accidental death, suicide, homicide, robbery, natural disaster or any other critical incident.
Crisis incidents can quickly overwhelm your employee’s coping skills, setting the stage for decreased productivity. The Village offers a multi-dimensional Crisis Management plan that integrates these core components:
- Pre-crisis preparation
- Crisis Management Briefing (CMB)
- Critical Incident Stress Debriefing (CISD)
- Individual intervention
- Family CISM
- Follow-up and referral
Critical Incident Stress Debriefing is the most commonly known component of Crisis Management Services, and was designed to lessen the impact of post-traumatic stress. It is a small-group post-crisis intervention provided after a critical incident. Depending on the nature of the crisis, critical incident stress debriefings are most effective when implemented 24 hours to 7 days after the crisis.
If a crisis impacts your employees, The Village’s fully trained CISM professionals will respond immediately to your call. Our toll-free number is staffed 24 hours a day. Call 1-800-627-8220.
Supervisors often find themselves facing unfamiliar challenges in their roles as managers and workgroup leaders. Along with your Human Resources department and your organization's policies and procedures, The Village EAP Supervisor Helpline can provide guidance, support and consultation on a variety of workplace issues (excluding legal consultation). Some of the issues we assist with include:
- Constructive confrontation of employee performance problems
- Hiring and firing procedures
- Drug-Free Workplace/DOT violations
- Employee discipline and coaching
- Workplace harassment issues
- Job safety concerns
- Mediating co-worker conflicts
- Analyzing workplace conflicts
Simply call 1-800-627-8220 and ask for the Supervisor Helpline. You can discuss your situation with one of our trained professionals, problem-solve possible solutions, and ask questions.
Supervisor referrals are a resource for human resources professionals and supervisors in addressing employee behaviors in the workplace. If just one of your employees is struggling with work performance issues, others in the group can be affected. Morale problems and job stress occur when one employee is not completing his or her share of the work. Your own stress in dealing with troubled employees can also impact the work group. Referring employees to The Village's Employee Assistance Program is an option that demonstrates care and concern for employees and can help establish your own peace of mind in knowing that as a supervisor, you have made every effort to help.
Supervisors can use informal or formal referrals to encourage employees to access The Village's Employee Assistance Program:
Left unaddressed, personal stress can negatively affect an employee’s performance on the job. Employees occasionally inform supervisors voluntarily when they are experiencing significant problems or stress in their personal lives. In instances where employees’ present work behavior has not yet been impaired, informal supervisor referrals to The Village's EAP are appropriate. Informal referrals are a proactive approach to encourage emotional health and wellness when supervisors are made aware that an employee may be struggling.
The Village Employee Assistance Program suggests the following steps for making an informal referral:
- Thank the employee for bringing the issue to your attention, and assure them that confidential assistance is available.
- Provide the employee with information on The Village EAP benefit and encourage them to call 1-800-627-8220 and ask to utilize their EAP benefit.
- If you are new to the process or have questions, call 1-800-627-8220 and ask to speak to The Village EAP Supervisor Helpline to begin the referral process.
- Click to open the appropriate fillable document:
- Complete the top section of the form with the identifying information requested. Include the date of last employee performance evaluation.
- Complete the section “REASON FOR REFERRAL” which describes the employee’s job performance issues that led to the referral. Include as much information as possible to help our professionals understand the work problem in question.
- In the section “ADDITIONAL COMMENTS BY REFERRING SUPERVISOR,” please document all discussions with the employee regarding the referral issue. It is very important to include information regarding the employee’s current status with the company. Include conditions for continued employment, such as the time frame in which you expect to see improvement and any pending disciplinary action. Attach additional comments if necessary and copies of any relevant documentation (memos to the employee, written warnings, specific policy violations, etc.) which may be helpful to make the counselor aware of the issues at hand and specific performance goals for the employee. Please note: Anything documented on the form may be shared with the employee during a counseling session.
- In the section "EMPLOYEE SIGNATURE AND RELEASE OF INFORMATION," have the employee print their name where directed, and sign and date the form in the appropriate blanks. The signature serves as a release of information regarding EAP use and indicates the employee’s understanding of your concerns. We cannot move forward with the formal referral process without the employee's signature. Sign your name where indicated (“Supervisor Signature”). Fax the completed form to The Village EAP at 651-925-0057 or email it to us for processing. Upon receipt of the signed form, Village EAP staff will also sign the form.
- The employee is then responsible for contacting the EAP to schedule the initial appointment. Please have the employee call 1-800-627-8220 and indicate they are scheduling a formal referral appointment.
- Your assigned case manager will stay in regular contact with you regarding the status of the referral, the employee’s compliance with recommendations, and progress toward goals. The content of the employee's counseling session will remain confidential.
Here are two short training videos that outline the formal referral process for Job Performance and Drug-Free Workplace/DOT referrals:
The Village Employee Assistance Program provides training for employees, supervisors, and managers as part of any standard EAP contract. Additional training sessions outside the allotted contract hours are available at a reduced EAP rate. We also can provide fee-based training for companies and organizations that do not currently have a contract with The Village EAP.
What kind of training is available? We emphasize training that fits the particular needs of our clients. Training topics may be within areas of:
- Customer service
- Mandated training such as Drug-Free Workplace training
In addition, a variety of pre-recorded trainings are available to watch online at your leisure. You may also register to attend one of our free lunch-hour Business Bite sessions; see upcoming titles and access the registration page on our Events page (look for webinars). Business Bite topics can be customized for your workplace.
For full descriptions of training options, read our online Training and Consulting Services guide, or explore the training categories below.
- Supervisor Training and Development
- Leadership Training and Development
- Team Training and Development
- Employee Training and Development
- Regulatory and Compliance Topics
- Personal Wellness and Self-Care
- Financial Wellness
The Village also provides a variety of consulting services to our EAP contract holders at a reduced rate. Additionally, these services are available to organizations without The Village EAP contract.
Listed below are services available for purchase.
- Organization Development Consulting
- Career and Leadership Development Services
- Career Coaching and Transition Services
Call 1-800-627-8220 or contact us online to learn more or schedule a consulting service.
Providing orientation for supervisors to The Village Employee Assistance Program is vital to ensure your leaders are well-versed in the tools available to them and how they can help their employees access the EAP benefit. Orientation is available to you at the launch of the benefit and by request. Companies that regularly schedule supervisor orientations have been shown to increase EAP utilization rates. Supervisor orientations generally require one hour of time. To schedule a supervisor orientation, contact your account executive.
The Supervisor's Guide includes a comprehensive overview of your EAP benefit as well as helpful advice on topics supervisors may encounter in the workplace, such as:
- Identifying troubled employees
- Constructive confrontation
- Making a formal referral
- How to provide observation and feedback
- Documenting performance problems
- Helping the abused employee
The Supervisor's Guide is available in electronic format. Click here to download the PDF. The Supervisor Quick Reference Guide provides key highlights for supervisors about The Village EAP and answers to your most common questions.
The Village holds regular training sessions on relevant workplace topics. Unless otherwise noted, these are available at no cost to you as a benefit of The Village EAP.
- The Business Bite: Lunchtime Talks on Topics That Matter are offered from noon to 1 pm on certain Wednesdays as online trainings. Village EAP trainers and counselors present tips and tools related to self-care, employee wellness, leadership, and more. Time is set aside for participant questions. Depending on the platform, participants may be limited. See upcoming titles and access registration links by going to TheVillageFamily.org/Events and looking for webinars.